Close Menu X

How Can We Help?

Negligent maintenance of pools can put caustic chemicals in water

A couple of weeks ago, a hotel pool in Florida was evacuated and 18 people had to be taken to the hospital for respiratory problems. The reason was that two common pool chemicals, muriatic acid and chlorine, were improperly mixed and combined into ammonium chloride gas.

State legislatures regulate pools in a variety of ways to prevent unnecessary injuries, including requiring certain chemicals to be added to the water. The chemicals are intended to balance the pH level, and to keep it clean and sanitary. Those regulations don’t do a lot of good, unfortunately, if pool employees aren’t properly trained on how to maintain those chemicals in a proper mix, or if negligent maintenance allows them to get out of balance.

Chlorine is typically required because it the reduces bacteria in the water. Muriatic acid is another name for hydrochloric acid, and it is used to control the pH, or acidity level, of the water to promote eye comfort while swimming. When the two are improperly combined, however, they can produce ammonium chloride, which can make people sick.

People exposed to ammonium chloride can experience a range of symptoms from minor irritation of the mucus membranes to difficulty breathing and even damage to the lungs.

According to a spokesperson for a commercial spa maintenance company interviewed by WPDE-TV, some pool maintenance professionals consider the risk of using muriatic acid too high and have switched to using other products. Even with proper training and certification, chemical accidents can still occur.

The facts aren’t yet in on whether negligent maintenance or poor training among the pool employees that caused the accident, but the problem could happen anywhere. In fact, many firefighters are certified in handling hazardous materials, and that training includes common chemicals used in pools.

These accidents aren’t limited to summertime -- the same chemicals are used in indoor pools, where ammonium chloride gas exposure could be even more dangerous.

Source: WPDE-TV, "Chemicals required to make pools safe can also be dangerous," Joel Allen, Sept. 24, 2013

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Our Awards and Accolades

    • The Best Lawyers in America
    • The National Trail Lawyers | Top 100 | Trail Lawyers
    • Newsweek Leaders In Showcase Personal Injury | 2011
    • Lawyers of Distinction | 2018
    • 2014 | Litigator Awards | Ranked Top 1% of Lawyers
    • Nation's Premier | NAOPIA | Top Ten Attorney | Personal Injury
    • American Law Society | Official Home of America's Top Lawyers
    • Best Lawyers | Best Law Firms | U.S.News & News Report | Rankings
    • New York Law Journal | 2015 Verdicts & Settlements | Hall of Fame | Motor Vehicle | Sakkas, Cahn & Weiss, LLP | Top 20 Verdict
    • Million Dollar Advocates Forum
    • Verdict Search's | Top NY Verdicts
    • Certified
    • National Association of Distinguished Counsel | Nation's Top One Percent | NADC
    • 2016 | Litigation Elite - Top 100 Trail Lawyers
    • Martindale-Hubbell | Distinguished | Peer Rated for High Professional Achievement | 2017
    • Who's who Legal | WWL
    • The National Advocates | Top 100 Lawyers
    • America's Top 100 Attorneys | Top 100
    • The National Trial Lawyers | Top 100 Trail Lawyers
    • Super Lawyers
    • Best Law Firms of America | LifeTime Member
    • Avvo | 10.0 | Superb | Top Attorney Personal Injury
Email Our Attorneys

Have Questions? Get A Free Case Review

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information
disclaimer.

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.

close

Privacy Policy