When a chicken "McNugget" snack turned into a trip to the emergency room, the customer decided to sue both McDonalds, the distributing company, and the franchise location at which he purchased the "McNuggets." The customer claims to have suffered severe injury when he swallowed bone shard fragments which had not been properly removed from the food. In his lawsuit, the customer alleged that the distributor was negligent in failing to properly inspect the chicken.
This is not the first lawsuit to arise from a defective "McNugget." Two years ago, a man bit into one which contained a cockroach and was hospitalized for food poisoning. There have also been many more instances of people claiming to have bit into a bone with their "McNugget." Additionally, in 2010, a woman also filed suit for having suffered injury resulting from consuming bone pieces that were in her cheese burger. McDonalds has seen numerous lawsuits over the years worldwide ranging in topics from environmental hazards, to defective products, to contributing to obesity.
Swallowing a bone fragment can be a very scary experience. In addition to choking hazards, a bone fragment can cause perforation of the bowels; perforate, obstruct and infect the intestines; damage the esophagus; and other health concerns. It may also require a trip to the emergency room, depending upon the size of the fragment, thus incurring medical expenses and time spent away from work.
If you have suffered injuries as a result of swallowing a bone, contact an experienced food product liability and personal injury attorney. Call the attorneys at Sakkas, Cahn & Weiss, LLP at (212) 571-7171 to find out your legal remedies.