Sakkas, Cahn & Weiss, LLP

free consultation


  • Spanish, Portuguese, Hebrew and Arabic Services Available
contact Menu

Is your landlord negligent in failing to provide for the safety and security of tenants?

Throughout New York City, millions of residents pay thousands of dollars in rent each month to live in apartment buildings that are often plagued by safety issues and in desperate need of maintenance and repair. Unfortunately, for far too many renters and tenants in the city, complaints about unsafe building conditions and broken and ill-maintained boilers and heating units fall on deaf ears.

In cases where a broken elevator, dangerous stairwell, icy sidewalk, or faulty hot water heater leads to the injury or death of a tenant; a landlord should be held accountable. While city tenants may believe that a landlord's actions are wrong, it's important to understand the legal responsibilities that a landlord has to his or her tenants as well as tenants’ legal rights.

According to the New York City department of Housing Preservation & Development, the following are some of the key elements that landlords must provide to ensure for the safety and security of tenants.

  • Adequate building security measures
  • Working and maintained heating equipment
  • Adequate lighting
  • Hot and cold water
  • Safe environment that is free of potential hazards
  • Clean and well maintained interior and exterior of building
  • Working smoke detectors

In cases where a landlord has been notified that one of the above-mentioned building necessities is unsafe or not working and he or she fails to take action to repair or rectify the situation, a tenant has rights and may choose to take legal action. 

In writing, a tenant should document any and all deficiencies in a premise's condition and sent a copy to a landlord and/or building owner along with a deadline by which such repairs should be made. Depending on the violation, a tenant may then choose to file a complaint with the appropriate city government agency. A tenant may also choose to seek the advice and assistance of an attorney.

In cases where a tenant has suffered injuries, it's especially important to seek legal advice. An attorney will advocate on an injured tenant's behalf and fight to recover damages and compensation related to physical injuries, medical expenses, lost wages and disability.

Source: Metropolitan Council on Housing, "How to get repairs (when your landlord refuses to make them)," July 13, 2015

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For a Response

Have Questions? Get A Free Case Review

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

150 Broadway Suite 300 New York, NY 10038

New York Office
150 Broadway
Suite 300
New York, NY 10038

Phone: 212-571-7171
Fax: 212-571-7174
Map & Directions

Fair Lawn Office
11-18 Saddle River Road
Fair Lawn, NJ 07410

Phone: 201-659-4144
Fax: 212-571-7174
Map & Directions

Garden City Office
1461 Franklin Ave, Suite 2SE
Garden City, NY 11530

Phone: 516-747-7472
Fax: 212-571-7174
Map & Directions

Stamford Office
1010 Washington Boulevard
Stamford, CT 06901

Phone: 203-862-8699
Fax: 212-571-7174
Map & Directions