As you may know, a fireball erupted last week at the Beacon School, a prestigious public high school on Manhattan’s Upper West Side. It apparently happened when a chemistry teacher’s scientific demonstration went wrong, and the result was two students burned -- one critically.
Last year, the Drug Enforcement Administration reported finding 147 meth labs, sets of glassware and chemicals, and byproduct-dump sites in New York -- a record high. That points to a growing problem: every meth lab leaves behind toxic chemical residue that could be harmful to later residents, or even neighbors. Unfortunately, renters and homebuyers in New York have no way of knowing whether their new home is a former meth lab.
A couple of weeks ago, a hotel pool in Florida was evacuated and 18 people had to be taken to the hospital for respiratory problems. The reason was that two common pool chemicals, muriatic acid and chlorine, were improperly mixed and combined into ammonium chloride gas.