NYC Car Accident Lawyer: Helping Vehicle Accident Victims In New York And Beyond
Whether driving down the highway or watching the news, it is hard to escape the fact that vehicular accidents continue to increase year by year. Unfortunately, as the number of car accidents climbs, the odds of you or a loved one becoming a casualty grow higher.
Sakkas, Cahn & Weiss, LLP, focuses 100% on personal injury litigation. We are a personal injury law firm dedicated to helping victims of accidents and injuries caused by the negligence of others. We are not a general practice. We offer serious help for serious injuries.
We obtained $4.8 million for a Manhattan resident who was hit and dragged by a car. The victim suffered many fractures and abdominal injuries. We called many experts and showed that our client’s injuries would require a lifetime of care – and the money to pay for that care.
We’ve Recovered Millions In All Kinds Of Transportation Accident Cases
At Sakkas, Cahn & Weiss, LLP, we have recovered millions for our clients. Our experience can be put to work on your behalf.
Our personal injury attorneys handle the full range of transportation and motor vehicle accident injuries, including:
- Airplane accidents – Our law firm has experience with plane crash cases and the life-changing injuries that often result.
- Auto accidents – We represent individuals who have suffered serious injuries in all types of car crashes in New York.
- Bicycle accidents – Bicycle riders often suffer traumatic brain injuries and broken bones when they are hit by motor vehicles. We can help.
- Bike messenger injuries – We understand the unique issues that come into play in accidents involving bike messengers.
- Bus and subway accidents – If you were injured by mass transportation, our attorneys can help you take appropriate legal action.
- Commercial vehicle collisions – We represent clients who have been harmed in crashes involving garbage trucks, construction vehicles and more.
- Drunk driving accidents – Our lawyers are experienced in cases involving drivers who are under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
- Distracted driving accidents – Our attorneys can help ensure that your rights are protected after a collision with a texting teen or another distracted driver.
- Fatal crashes – If you lost a loved one in a fatal car accident, we can advise you of your rights.
- Ferry accidents – Such accidents can range from slips, trips and falls aboard the ferry to drownings when passengers fall overboard.
- Motorcycle accidents – Our attorneys have the skill to handle complex motorcycle accident cases and pursue maximum compensation.
- Pedestrian accidents – A serious injury can affect you for the rest of your life. We can help you pursue compensation.
- Taxi, limousine/car service crashes – Let our attorneys handle the legal aspects of your case so you can focus on healing.
- Train accidents – Train conductors, train companies and other parties need to be held accountable for negligence that leads to accidents.
- Truck accidents – When a truck driver or trucking company fails to act responsibly, working with our firm can help ensure that you are properly compensated for your injuries.
What should you do if you’ve involved in a car accident in New York City?
Sometimes, an accident attorney is the first person someone calls after reporting their car crash to the authorities. In other cases, talking to an attorney is something that happens much further down the line.
Either way, it’s essential that you understand what to do if you’re involved in a vehicle accident.
The steps you take right now could have a big influence on the outcome of any insurance claim or lawsuit.
- Make yourself safe: If possible, you should move away from the scene of the accident – moving your car where it will not be a hazard. Secondary accidents are common – so it’s important that you and anyone else involved is safe.
- Report the accident: Report your accident to the police and request that an officer is dispatched to the scene. A police report can often represent an important piece of evidence – and that evidence can change quickly.
- Seek medical help: Even if you don’t think your injuries are severe at this point, you should seek medical attention to make sure any unrecognised injuries and seen and an accurate medical report is generated.
- Refuse insurance offers: Even minor accidents can leave you shaken – and it’s not uncommon for insurance companies to take advantage of this trauma to contact you in the hope you’ll accept a lowball settlement. At this stage, it’s a good idea to refuse to speak to an insurance company until you’re communicated with an NYC car accident attorney.
- Talk to a lawyer: Having the right legal representation can be a life-changing factor immediately after a road traffic accident. Talk to a firm you can trust – they’ll support you every step of the way and help to make sure you get the justice you deserve.
Why do vehicle accidents happen in NYC?
It can sometimes feel like accidents on the roads in New York City are just part of city life – but from fender-benders to major rail accidents, there’s always a set of circumstances that has led to the accident occurring.
As experienced New York City car accident lawyers, we can pinpoint some of the main causes of incidents on our roads:
Failing to yield
Driving around New York City requires a driver to be extremely alert and aware of often-difficult traffic patterns. Year-on-year, over 18,000 accidents happen because a driver either ignores the law or simply is not aware of how the traffic should be flowing.
Cell phones have changed our lives – but they can be difficult to put down or ignore. Studies have shown that being distracted by a device can be as detrimental to awareness as being drunk behind the wheel.
Almost one-third of all motor vehicle accidents involve at least one driver who took their eyes from the road because of a distraction inside the car.
With traffic the way it is in the city, it’s probably no surprise to find out that lots of drivers will put their foot down to make up for time lost in traffic.
However, speed significantly adds to danger on New York City roads. Not only does additional speed mean a vehicle covers more ground before a person’s reactions kick-in, it also increases braking distances. As such, speed is a major contributing factor in between 10-13 auto accidents every day.
No one wants to be left behind when the lights change – but driving too close to other vehicles again significantly reduces reaction time and the distance you have to safely brake or avoid a collision.
Over 10% of New York City car accidents happen because someone was ‘tailgating’ – following the vehicle in front too closely.
Drinking and driving rightfully has a huge stigma attached to it – but that doesn’t stop people getting behind the wheel after a drink.
There are around 2,500 car crashes every year that are a result of driving while under the influence. Many of these accidents come when someone’s driving the ‘morning after’ – while unknowingly under the influence.
Hopping up a slow-moving lane of traffic can feel tempting when you’re in a rush – but it often leads to people taking risks that they otherwise wouldn’t consider.
One New York City car accident out of ten is caused when impatience gets the better of a driver and they decide to pass unsafely.
It’s a driver’s job to make sure the vehicle they’re operating is fit for the road. If it’s not, it shouldn’t be driven. However, most people don’t check things like lights, tyres, and brakes before they travel – and that’s before manufacturer problems are considered.
There’s a lot to go wrong with a vehicle – and if something does, it can result in accidents during otherwise safe driving.
Road maintenance issues
Maintaining the roads throughout New York city is no small job – so it’s no surprise that the city often can’t keep on top of problems. Potholes, uneven surfaces, missing or unclear signage, and even improperly marked road works can all contribute to issues.
As a resident of New York City, you don’t need reminding how weather can affect our lives. Driving a vehicle in a humid summer is very different to driving during a snowy winter – but not everyone has the skill or experience to adapt.
Whether it’s a low sun that’s obscuring vision or a icy patch that leaves you car sliding, the weather has a huge impact on accidents in the city.
What caused your auto accident?
As you can see, there are numerous factors that contribute to New York City car accident cases. Sometimes just one of these factors comes into play – but in other cases, it can be two, three, or even four of these things that leads to an accident and the subsequent medical bills.
An experienced car accident attorney will help you and the authorities understand what’s happened, who’s at fault, and what kind of recompense will help to put things right.
The Three Most Asked Accident Questions
Different types of accidents mean that different people or entities may be liable or responsible for damages.
What are “damages”?
“Damages” mean financial compensation that can cover the physical, property or emotional loss of a person involved in an accident caused by someone else. You may wish to pursue many types of financial compensation after an accident. Recovering damages often involve significant amounts of negotiation with the car accident lawyers employed by an insurance company – or facing those same lawyers in court.
What type of compensation can I claim after a New York car accident case?
Every state is different as to the laws regarding what types of damages accident victims can pursue. The available damages will depend on the type of accident and what happened. Generally speaking, you can sue for property damages such as the damage to your vehicle (even if you did not suffer injuries), medical expenses, lost current and future wages, pain and suffering, and compensation for a wrongful death if you lost a family member in the accident.
An attorney can review your case and offer specific guidance. Third-party lawsuits may also be prudent to pursue (such as suing the bar or tavern that overserved the drunk driver who caused the accident, or the manufacturer of a faulty brake that resulted in an accident). Punitive damages, meant to send a message to the responsible party when egregious disregard for safety was a facet of the accident or injury, are also possible to pursue in New York.
How much does it cost me to hire a New York car accident attorney?
It costs nothing to hire an attorney. Our team of NYC car accident attorneys works on a contingency fee basis in injury cases. This means car accident victims pay us nothing unless we take your case and win a settlement out of court or a verdict in court for you. Then we take an agreed-upon percentage.
Does it matter whose fault the NYC auto accident was?
New York City and the wider New York state has ‘no-fault’ insurance rules. With ‘comparative fault rules’ you’ll can still claim compensation as long as you’re not 100% at fault for your accident.
Everyone who drives is expected to have auto insurance coverage – and that coverage is the primary source of compensation after an accident, regardless of who is at fault.
That said, your insurance company isn’t just going to get their check book out and ask you for a figure. In fact, they’re going to do everything they can to reduce the value of your claim or deny it altogether. Insurance companies employ specialist negotiators for this very job – and although they might be pitched as ‘customer care’ roles, they job is often just about protecting company profits.
So, no matter who was at fault, you’re going to find yourself sparring with a highly experienced negotiator who’s backed by an enormous insurance company. Insurance companies know you’ll rarely deal with accident claims – so, regardless of fault, it pays to have New York car accident attorneys in your corner.
How long do I have to file a personal injury lawsuit?
Generally speaking, the statute of limitations surrounding car accident cases is three years.
Three years might seem like you have plenty of time – but thousands of legitimate claims are refused by courts because this legal timeline isn’t met.
What’s more, there are significant benefits to be had if New York car accident attorneys push ahead with your case as quickly as possible.
Why is the statute for New York Auto Accidents Three Years?
It’s all about evidence. If you wait too long, witnesses became hazy about what happened, physical evidence is repaired or lost, and insurance companies have had time to deem you liable to avoid a payout. The best car accident lawyers in NYC will encourage you to act quickly – because they know that being prompt is the best way to secure the justice you deserve.
How much is a NYC car accident case worth?
Car insurance companies will often work on a compensation figure that is intended to make you feel like you’re being fairly treated. Unfortunately, these figures are intended to make a person feel looked-after when they actually haven’t considered the true magnitude of their injuries and issues.
A good Manhattan car accident attorney will consider a huge range of factors before helping you to decide if a settlement is fair – or whether we’ll need to push harder on your behalf.
Some of the factors taken into account are:
- The seriousness of your injuries and any hospitalization or surgery needed
- Any physical therapy or rehabilitation required to make a full recovery
- The impact on your ability to work – both now and into the future
- The affect the accident has had on your day-to-day life
- Any support you will require – either in the short or long term
- Any lasting effect your injuries have your physical abilities or your appearance
- The impact the accident has had on your mental wellbeing and health
- Any damage or loss of property you have experienced
Of course, these are just some of the factors to consider. Every individual we represent is exactly that – an individual – with different circumstances and injuries. We’ll treat you accordingly – and make sure you get the justice and financial compensation you deserve.
“Do I really need this type of lawyer?”
When you’re in an accident, it’s easy to consider your experience and decide that your case is a simple open-and-shut with no possible way that you’ll lose.
Sadly, this isn’t how New York car accident cases play out. With individuals and high-profile insurance companies desperately trying to protect themselves, you can expect everyone involved to roll-up their sleeves and fight to avoid blame or payouts.
Even just a glance at the facts we’ve presented so far make it obvious that there are lots of moving parts to consider – and it only takes one of those factors to be turned against you for your lawsuit to fail.
Perhaps the weather meant your vision wasn’t as clear as it could have been? Maybe the low tread on your tyre meant you couldn’t stop as quickly as you should have done? Maybe that long shift at work means you were tired and your reaction was impaired? Even if you know these things aren’t factors – these, and thousands of other details will be pawed over by an experienced car accident lawyer to minimise the compensation you receive.
So, the answer is simple. No – you do not have to have a NYC car accident lawyer on your side. However, if you want to give yourself the best chance of securing justice against a team of people whose job it is to deny you that justice, then the right car accident attorney is a must-have.
Why should you trust Sakkas, Cahn & Weiss, LLP, with your car accident lawsuit?
A quick search for an NYC car accident lawyer will offer up plenty of results – so why choose our firm to represent your best interests?
For us – and thousands of our previously clients – the answer is all about how you’re treated.
At Sakkas, Cahn & Weiss, LLP, you’re not a file-number passed to an inexperienced case manager. From your initial free consultation right through to negotiations and court appearances, you’re represented by an experienced attorney with thousands of New York City car accident lawsuits under their belt.
From the very outset, we listen. We’ll listen as you explain exactly how your car accident injury has impacted your lift – from lost wages right now through to future medical bills or on-going support. We’ll help you piece together a full picture.
What’s more, we always make time for you. Whether your case is the biggest file on our desk or a simpler, smaller claim – you can expect to receive exactly the same kind of care and attention. We know that your car accident and the fallout from it is likely to be one of the biggest factors in your life at the moment – so we’ll make sure it receives our utmost attention.
“Can I switch my New York City car accident lawsuit to your firm?”
Unfortunately, many people don’t realise that there’s a big difference between one NYC car accident lawyer and another until they’ve instructed the wrong one.
Don’t worry though – you can switch law firm whenever you wish, and for any reason. We’ll handle the process and speak to your current car accident lawyer on your behalf – so you don’t have to worry about confrontation.
There are countless reasons people switch lawyers. Sometimes, they feel like the attorney has already made their mind up to settle when the client feels like it’s just not fair. In other cases, accident victims just get sick of not hearing from their law firm and not being kept up to date with where their case is.
We do everything in our power to keep you in the picture and keep your wishes and goals at the heart of everything we do.
Free Consultation ∙ Se Habla Español
Our New York personal injury lawyers at Sakkas, Cahn & Weiss, LLP, are skilled and aggressive trial lawyers with years of experience helping thousands of clients. Our attorneys have recovered millions of dollars for clients in verdicts and settlements, as well as through mediation and arbitration.
To learn more about our law firm or to request a free initial consultation with an experienced personal injury lawyer, please call 212-571-7171 or email Sakkas, Cahn & Weiss, LLP, today.