More Than $650 Million For Injury Victims
At Sakkas, Cahn & Weiss, LLP, our New York-based firm is focused on providing the premier personal injury representation people need when they have been seriously injured or have lost a loved one.
Over the decades, we have built a reputation for helping clients when they need it most. That reputation has led to our receiving such recognitions as lifetime memberships in the Million Dollar Advocates Forum and many others. We are proud of the assistance we provide to those who have been injured, and we continue that tradition of excellence with each new client.
We Can Be Your Champion In All Kinds Of Personal Injury Cases
We strive to offer legal assistance to those in need. As a consequence, we prepare for a wide range of cases, including those involving:
- Assault and sexual abuse: We represent individuals who have been abused by clergy, assaulted in parking lots and injured by police brutality as well as those who have other sensitive cases.
- Complex regional pain syndrome (CRPS): We are experienced with cases involving CRPS, also called reflex sympathetic dystrophy (RSD).
- Defective products: We work diligently to obtain compensation for injuries caused by negligent companies and product defects.
- Drowning: Losing a loved one in a drowning accident is terrible. We support you as you bring a claim for your expenses and pain and suffering.
- Government negligence: If you were injured because of poorly maintained public property, for instance, we can advise you of your rights.
- Injuries on someone else’s property: When a property owner fails to maintain a safe premises and you are injured as a result, securing the right attorney can help ensure that you are properly compensated for your injuries.
- Legal malpractice: We represent clients who have been harmed by the unethical or negligent behavior of other attorneys.
- Medical mistakes: When doctors, nurses and other health care professionals cause injury by providing substandard care, they need to compensate those whom they have harmed. We have the skill necessary to handle complex cases such as these.
- Nursing home errors: We trust that our loved ones are receiving the care they deserve. When they are not and they have been injured, we can help you take all appropriate actions, from pursuing compensation to assisting with their immediate removal from their current facility.
- Police wrongdoing: When the police overstep their boundaries and cause injuries while violating a person’s rights, they need to be held accountable.
- Tourist injuries: Our law firm frequently represents tourists from out of state or from other countries.
- Traumatic brain injuries: A brain injury is likely to change your life forever. We can help you seek compensation.
- Vehicle accidents: From cars and trucks to subways and ferries, the vehicles we all rely on pose a real threat of serious injury and death when they are improperly operated or malfunction.
We also offer our assistance to those who have lost loved ones in fatal accidents. We understand how traumatic a wrongful death is, and we are here to provide the compassionate advocacy your family deserves.
We Answer Your Questions
The attorneys at Sakkas, Cahn & Weiss, LLP, have been handling personal injury lawsuits for a long time, and we’ve answered many questions from clients and potential clients. While everyone is different, these three questions are usually where the conversations start:
How much are personal injury cases worth?
Clients ask this all the time, and it’s like asking what 100 acres should sell for. To do it properly, we need to identify where the acreage is located, which time period you are speaking of (in 1626, Manhattan Island sold for $26 – I think we know the value is higher now), whether the property has a structure and so on. It’s a complicated process, unique to each individual and each case.
Your case value is based on the clarity of who is at fault, the severity of your injuries, how much insurance coverage exists and, to some extent, which party will be more well-received by a jury – the plaintiff (you) or the defendant (the person at fault). There are a ton more little nonsensical things that make an impact. Sometimes we can provide a range, but often, when you visit us right after an accident, we don’t even know the extent of your injuries. If you meet a lawyer who immediately barks “your case is worth $1 million,” run as fast as you can. They’re just trying to get you to sign their retainer.
The most honest answer to how much a personal injury case is worth will always come with several qualifiers. And, there is never any sort of guarantee in these issues. You will only know the exact amount your case is worth at the end.
How long do I have in New York to file my personal injury case?
For the most part, you have three years for an accident case and 2 1/2 years for a malpractice case. City and municipal cases have requirements that you must file documents within 90 days and then file your lawsuit roughly within a year.
If you think you have a case, then you should always call a lawyer, who will be happy to advise. But a good rule of thumb is to call a lawyer for advice as close to the accident date itself. Your attorney will have the experience to understand every procedural step that you will need to take, not just the deadlines.
What if my injury occurred while working at my job?
In that instance, you will almost certainly have a worker’s compensation claim, which will cover medical bills and a portion of your lost wages. However, there is usually a decent chance that you can also sue someone other than your employer for your injuries.
For instance, you work for an advertising company in the Empire State Building. As you sit at your desk, the ceiling collapses on you because of a water issue. You were injured on the job and can collect workers’ comp benefits through your company’s work comp insurance carrier. But, your company doesn’t own the building, so now you can sue the owners of the building as well.
This is an area of the law called a third-party injury claim. These are complicated cases, and they require experienced, thorough representation from lawyers who understands you and what you’re going through.
Trust Us To Take Your Case To Heart
If you have suffered a serious personal injury of any kind, we want to help you pursue the full compensation you deserve. Let us take your case and provide caring advocacy. Call Sakkas, Cahn & Weiss, LLP, to schedule a free initial consultation today: 212-571-7171. You can also contact us online.