Sakkas, Cahn & Weiss, LLP

See Our Google Reviews

En Español
Can I Switch My Lawyer?

                    Free Consultations Available 24/7        212-571-7171

Close Menu X

How Can We Help?

Sakkas, Cahn & Weiss, LLP
More Than $650 Million Recovered For Our Clients
You Are Here: Home 9 Police Misconduct 9 What can you do if the police use excessive force?

What can you do if the police use excessive force?

Jun 16, 2020

Recent events have brought awareness of police brutality to national attention. While the police can use force in a few specific cases, there are strict rules that they should follow, and the Constitution prohibits the use of excessive force. Despite this, officers do overstep, and this misconduct and brutality can leave people with serious injuries. What should you do if you suffer police brutality?

What should you do?

Police brutality is a violation of your rights. Whether misconduct occurs when the police question you or you witness misconduct in progress, knowing those rights can help you protect yourself and have a stronger foundation for a complaint in the future.

Getting justice can also depend on recording the specifics of your experience. Be sure to write down the officer’s name and badge number, patrol car numbers, any weapons that the police used and other details. Many rely on video recordings to verify these details, and the state of New York has upheld your right to record the police.

Be sure to seek medical attention as soon as possible for your injuries. This ensures that any injuries are fully assessed and treated, and it creates a clear record that can help link them to officers’ misconduct.

It is possible to seek justice.

If the police violated your rights, you can also file a complaint against the officer. You may be able to file this complaint anonymously to further protect yourself. Consider speaking to an attorney when filing your complaint. They can help you explore your options and protect yourself after police misconduct violates your rights.


Let Us Help You Today

Request A Free Case Review

$11 Million


$9 Million

Brain Injury

$5 Million

Dram Shop

$4.8 Million

For Roadway
Accident Victim

$1.5 Million


$3.2 Million


$5.35 Million

Rear End

$1.5 Million



Our Awards and Accolades